Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken Salad

Sometimes, I have a hard time making healthy meals for just myself when my husband is working late.  It takes a little extra drive to take the time and effort to eat healthy.  I'm sure many of you have felt this before. With that in mind, I thought I would share one of my go-to recipes for these times.  It is very easy to make, and only takes about 20 minutes (maybe 30), most of which is spent just letting the chicken cook.  The greatest thing about tis recipe is that it can easily be made for one or several people.

************************************
Mediterranean Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
1 Chicken breast (per person)
Spinach
Raisins
Walnuts
Feta Cheese
Drizzle of Olive Oil
Lime or Lemon
Seasoning of your choice

Begin by cooking the chicken.  I used a boneless, skinless lemon pepper chicken breast from Foster Farms.  In order to use less dishes, I put water in a skillet and "boiled" the chicken breast until completely white inside and the juices ran clear.

While that was cooking, I put lots of spinach into a bowl and topped it with walnuts and raisens.  Both are healthy in moderation  Walnuts have a little protein and many healthy fats.  Raisins do have a lot of sugar, so use them sparingly.  Both add flavor and crunch to the salad in a better way than using dressing and croutons. 

When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pan and slice it.  Dump out the water, dry the pan and add in a small amount of olive oil.  Place on high heat.  Add the chicken slices, sprinkle with spices (I used lemon pepper, garlic powder, and a little cayenne pepper) and cook until there is a slight carmelization on each side. 
Add chicken to salad.  Squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice on top and finish with a light sprinkle of feta cheese.  I ate my salad with steamed veggies and some sweet potato fries. Sit back and enjoy a healthy and filling meal!

***************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment