Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Movie Suggestion... Chasing Mavericks




This past week, my husband and I went to see the movie Chasing Mavericks.  It is the story of a young boy convincing a father-figure surfer to train him to surf the Mavericks, one of the largest surf breaks in the world.  The 40 foot plus waves that roll in at this California surf break are technical and extremely dangerous to even the most talented surfers.  The movie is based on the true story of Jay Moriarity. 
 
This movie was one of the most inspiring I have seen, and not just because I love surfing.  It shows the journey one takes when training for an event.  It shows how truly grueling it can be, but also how very rewarding it is in the end.  The lessons learned can apply to many areas of life, but to anyone in training for an athletic event or anyone needing some inspiration to take the risk of training, it is truly inspirational.  Last time I posted, I shared that I am training for the XTERRA, an extreme of road triathalon.  I found many applications throughout the movie to this current adventure that I am in.
 
I highly recommend each of you take the time to watch this movie.  Training for any challenge is risky to the body, but even moreso to the mind.  You give youself the chance to fail.  But if you never take the risk, you never feel the thrill of success and accomplishment.  Watch this movie and you will see how beautiful taking the risk of training can be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment