Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Plea to You...And an Apology if It's Ever Happened to You

Well, here we are again, back into another week.  At least now even the calendar says its spring!  We welcomed spring today with a tornado warning.  Except the skies were blue. Oh weather, you are so silly.
So I am writing today with something that has been troubling me.  This weekend, I was remembering back to a time when I was talking to someone who had been exercising outside and they told me that as they passed a group of adults, the adults were pointing and laughing at this person.  In fact, I think I have heard about something similar from someone else too.  Has this ever happened to you?  Either having someone laugh at you while exercising, or maybe someone making fun of you for eating healthy foods at a restaurant? I'm sure I have been laughed at too, many times, but I'd just be in my own world, so I never paid attention.  Well, I can sit here all day and tell you about how those people are so insecure in themselves and are pathetic, which is all true, but it really doesn't help.  So I am simply going to apologize for the human race, and then tell you to NEVER let them bring you down.  Never let some little group of pathetic people discourage you from becoming your healthiest and best you! Don't let anyone else control you. Don't let anyone put limits on you; you are unlimited!
So in that spirit I have another challenge for you. Next time you are out exercising or on a walk and you see someone else exercising, tell them good job and to keep it up!  You might confuse them, but you'll also make their day.  You could be giving them the pick up they desperately need.  But if nothing else, please, never make fun of someone who is trying to become healthier.  We all know how difficult it is in this world to take that step and be healthy.  The other day I was out running in the same area as a bunch of Marines.  One of them was passing me and congratulated me on my pace and said he had a hard time catching up to me.  It totally made my day because I am usually a veeerrrrrryyyy slow runner.  It gave me an extra boost go get through my workout just because someone took the time to say something nice.  If you just feel awkward and aren't ready to make the step of saying something, give the passing exerciser a smile and a wave.  Remember, we are all in this journey together.  If you give someone a boost, they will remember it and maybe pass it on to someone else who needs it even more! And it all started with you!

Next time someone laughs at you for your healthy choices, here is one of my favorite quotes to remind myself of:
To those who'd ground me, take a message back from me:
Tell them how I'm Defying Gravity!
I'm flying high Defying Gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown...
And nobody in all of Oz, no wizard that there is or was...
Is ever going to bring me down!
                                                                        ~"Defying Gravity" from Wicked

1 comment: