Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chicken Stirfry Over Saffron-Infused Quinoa

I realized that I haven't posted a recipe in a while, so last night, I made some delicious stirfry while my wonderful husband took pictures of it. This recipe is so ridiculously changable that I'm not going to even make an ingredients list. I'll just tell you what I used and then give you some other options as well. The awesome thing about this recipe is that everything in it is great for you and so easy to do! Not to mention its super adjustable so you can make it for one person just as easily as for 10. Although, you may need a bigger skillet...


****************************************

Start with a nice large pile of freshly chopped veggies.  I have onion, red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, and a serrano pepper.
You could also use snow peas, spinach, kale, bean sprouts, or anything else you find. I also have two cloves of garlic chopped up.  Normally, I would shred them up with a microplane, but my microplane currently in Guam, so I chopped them instead. 
Then I pick out my spices.  Today, I went for an Indian themed type of flavor.  I had more garlic in the form of powder and salt.  Garlic is an antioxident and freakishly good for you.  I stick it on anything I can.  I also have curry, cumin, cayenne pepper, and ground ginger for the stirfry.  Normally I would use fresh ginger but I didn't have any.  I know there is chili powder in the picture, but I ended up not putting it in.  The saffron I used in the quinoa.
Next, I sauteed up some chicken in a little bit of olive oil. Usually I use leftover baked chicken or whatever I happen to have as a leftover at the time. Since I didn't have any right now, I just cooked some chicken up quick.  I seasoned it with garlic powder and curry.  I've also used beef, pork, and turkey before.  All are super tasty.
After the chicken was done, I set it aside and sauteed up the garlic and serrano peppers. I also started cooking up my quinoa that I infused with saffron. (which is really just a fancy way of saying I threw in some saffron strands...)
After I let those cook up for a couple minutes, I added a little bit more olive oil and then tossed in the onions. I like to let all these guys cook up a little before I add the other vegetables because they take a little bit longer to cook.
Once those cooked down a little, I threw in all the rest of the veggies and stirred it all up.  I finally added all my spices.  I never measure them, I just start sprinkling them in.  You can really add just about anything you want, and you can easily adjust it to your own taste.
Once the veggies were almost done, I threw the chicken back in so it could all cook up together.


I served it up over the quinoa and drizzled lime juice on top.  Yum!
****************************************
This recipe is super easy!  It really just involves chucking stuff into a pan.  Its a great way to use up leftovers and is super healthy at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love doing this! I call it leftover stir fry and pretty much use any vegetable I can find in my fridge. Except I use pasta because I have a ridiculous obsession with carbs. But then I throw the pasta into the skillet with all the vegetables fox maximum yumminess.

    Also, I'm very glad to hear garlic is good for you because I eat it by the truck load. I also heard that olive oil is pretty good for you too, which is a relief because I could practically drink that stuff. (Ok so not really, now that I'm actually thinking about it that sounds pretty gross)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yea olive oil is full of healthy fats that you need so its definately good for you. :) As long as you don't drink it because that would be kind of weird... and I eat garlic on pretty much everything and its mother, I love it! Yum yum yum!!

      Delete