Thursday, April 19, 2012

Health Is More Than Fitness: A Note On Sunscreen

Health is about more than eating right and exercising.  It involves all sorts of other decisions made each and every day.  Should I floss my teeth? Should I wipe off the kitchen counter after cooking with raw meat? Should I wash my hands after using the bathroom? Okay so we all know that these are pretty obvious YES answers if we want to stay healthy. But here is one you probably also know the answer to.  Should I wear sunscreen?  Most of us have neglected sunscreen in the past and gotten burned for it. I know I've had a couple pretty uncomfortable burns. I have a pretty solid tan going that I got WHILE WEARING sunscreen.  If I hadn't put it on, I can only imagine how much of a walking billboard for skin cancer I would be right now.  But we keep not using it.  And then, to make matters worse, we go to tanning beds and bake some more.  All because we think that a nice tan is prettier than pasty white.  But pasty white is a lot prettier than skin cancer. Below is an article that one of my friends posted on facebook.  Its about a 26 year old girl that dies of skin cancer because she exposed her skin to those rays.  We all think "It won't happen to me..."  I bet she thought that too.  Please, take time to read this article and think about it now that we are getting into the summer months.  You don't need a tan to be pretty.  Healthy is a whole lot prettier than anything unhealthy.

 
A Death By Suntan At Age 26
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/a-death-by-suntan-at-age-26-1227159.html

(I've never posted a link in here before.  If it doesn't click through, copy and paste it in your browser.  Its worth reading.)

1 comment: